Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Long time, no blog

Has it really been so long since my last post? Blogs don't lie, or at least they shouldn't, so yes it has.

I have a really, really good excuse. My family has moved house from a typical suburban ranch to a funky, fun and smaller Victorian loaded with charm, not closets. There's nothing like moving and downsizing at the same time to come face-to-face with what's truly necessary. It's really a lot less than I used to think.

There's something so freeing about letting go of possessions. I still have the important things, the heirlooms from both sides of the family, the touchstones of a lifetime of complicated, wonderful living. I don't have so much stuff anymore, which means what I have is distilled to the essence. I could distill even more if I needed to. That's also a good thing to know.

Less really is more.

No comments: